蓬萊漢堡 [Mimi's World Tour] [RIP]


Bakery: 蓬萊漢堡 (Penglai Hamburger)
Address: No. 365, Zhongshan Road, East District, Chiayi
Website: n/a
Style: Chinese
Price: $
 
It's always sad when a bakery closes before I get a chance to review it. This one shut its doors in July after countless years in the business and to public outcry. Nonetheless, I reviewed it when I was in Chiayi and I'm not letting my trip there go to waste! As the name indicates, the highlight at this bakery was actually the burgers. Sold from a table in the doorway, every time I walked past this place during my stay, there was a line of people waiting for those famous hamburgers. But they do have a full-scale bakery inside with a lovely window display of cream-filled cake slices, probably more than the usual bakery. These were definitely my top pick - but I didn't know whether you had to ask the worker for it and well, I didn't want to try asking the worker for one. After I'd already paid, a couple came in after me and just started snatching cake onto their tray themselves... too late. -_-
Maybe I needed to lay off the cream too. Instead, I grabbed a classic castella ($20). Super cheap, but also lacking in any distinct flavour. That fluffy eggy flavour and texture was nowhere to be seen and it resembled more an angel food cake (in that it was airy and didn't taste like anything) than a castella. Far from the best I had. 

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment