Mikar Bakehouse [Mimi's World Tour]


Bakery: Mikar Bakehouse (蜜卡爾專業烘焙坊)
Address: No. 25, Dehui Street, Zhongshan District, Taipei
Website: n/a
Style: Chinese
Price: $$
 
The weirdness of those sounds together make it seem like this bakery is trying to replicate a foreign word, but all their signage says "Mikar", so I'll use it too. This is one of the many old-school bakeries in the neighbourhood, what I simply can't help but call a "Chinatown bakery": simple, plastic-bagged sweet and savoury (more of the latter) bread/buns at good prices, but usually not presented in the most appealing way. They're standard. You know what to expect and, chances are, nothing will really exceed those expectations.
I was, however, intrigued by their blueberry flaky pastry ($30). It was certainly different from the usual bread varieties and well, an older woman in front of me took two of them so I thought someone must know something I don't. ;) It was surprisingly Western in style: flaky pastry lattice on top with a blueberry filling (with plenty of real fruit, though it was too sweet). Not quite sure if the crushed peanut garnish matched, but I'm not really a peanut fan, especially in baking. What really annoyed me was inside this pastry exterior and underneath the jam, there was a thick slab of sponge cake. You couldn't even see it from the outside and once you bit in, it ruined the texture of the more delicate pastry top and all you tasted was that sponge cake; everything else was lost. Kind of a shame. 

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment