Pulio Classic [Mimi's World Tour]


Bakery: Pulio Classic Bakery Coffee (布莉歐經典烘培咖啡) 
Address: No. 103, Taizhong Road, East District, Taichung
Website: facebook
Style: Chinese
Price: $$ 

The next stop on my trip was the city of Taichung. I stayed on the southern side of the train station and Pulio was pretty much my closest bakery. And that's a good thing. This rather chic bakery seemed to be a popular one - and a fully stocked one. The amount of baked goods, both sweet and savoury, along with cakes and more elaborate pastries was downright astounding; whether it was the selection or simply the amount of seasonal strawberry-themed items, it reminded me a lot of the bakeries I visited on my Japanese Cake Tour. 
I just couldn't resist all those strawberries and went with what I call the strawberry and custard shortcake cream puff ($45). I'm sure the original label was more concise than that, but you get the idea. ;) This actually turned into a bit of a mess, but given it was something totally unique it was worth it. The filling consisted of fresh sliced strawberries with plenty of custard that just oozed out in every direction. The dough was what I called a shortcake; at first glance, it looked more like a choux pastry, but it was more dense and sponge cake-like than it first appeared. Good, but a bit over-the-top. Still, it was a little different than your average Taiwanese bakery and that was much appreciated at this point. 

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment