Redheads Japa Cafe


 
 
 
 
Bakery: Redheads Japa Cafe
Address: 638 11 Ave SW, Calgary AB 
Style: Japanese
Price: $$ 
 
This is as unlikely a Cake Tour as it gets... well, given that I've got the Vietnamese restaurant doughnut diner and the dollar store selling baked goods on here, maybe that's a bit of an overstatement. Redheads is, however, an authentic Japanese cafe/restaurant selling excellent food, but the first thing that drew me to them was the fact that they make Japanese baked doughnuts. A few years ago I thought it would make a great business idea: a doughnut stand selling Japanese baked doughnuts with adorable faces and critters made with the icing on top. No one in Canada that I knew of made them... and this was soon disproved with a little research: this cafe in Calgary does. 
Of course they don't have adorable critters made with the icing - actually they don't have icing at all and are of the simpler variety. The lack of a ring didn't really make this green tea "Japa doughnut" ($1.50; a deluxe version with ice cream is available) look like a doughnut at all. More like a muffin. They *did* have a nice crust to them and the dough was sponge-like and moist. The only minus I can really think of is that they microwaved them prior to serving. I don't know if they were not fresh or that was the effect, but I would have liked to try them room-temperature and decide for myself. I didn't eat it inside regardless. A surprising find, but what was more surprising: this is the only place in Canada where I found fried chicken and root vegetables in incredible vinegar sauce. Oh man... this dish is mind-blowing; I'm just concerned that it's no longer showing up on their menu. 

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment