Chong Hua Zhai [Mimi's World Tour]


Bakery: Chong Hua Zhai Vegetarian Bakery (崇華齊烘焙本舖)
Address: No. 89, Jianguo Road, Central District, Taichung 
Style: Chinese
Price: $$ 
 
Quite conveniently located a short walk away from the train station, this vegetarian bakery is my final Cake Tour for the city of Taichung and quite the elegant establishment. It's not often you find bakeries, especially in Taiwan, where there was any sort of thought put into the decor and appearance. They also seem to put thought into the fact that there are no meat/meat products in the baked goods. On the sweet side of things, it doesn't usually count for much except that they don't use lard.
Vegetarian bakeries aim to be on the "healthy" side, which sometimes means you don't get the appetizing baked goods you can find at other bakeries, but I was pretty impressed with their selection of sweet buns and cakes - I think there was even some sort of icing-laden brownie/chocolate treat. It doesn't have to be bland and boring! That being said, I'd been avoiding it for so long that as soon as I saw their pineapple bun ($28), I got such a craving for one. Perhaps a little bland and boring after all said and done, but this was just what I wanted at the time. I was especially lured in by that fantastic crust on the outside that was slightly different from your usual pineapple bun. A little small and flavourless beyond that crust, but this was still one of the good ones. 

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment