Old Papa Black Tea [Mimi's World Tour]


Bakery: Old Papa Black Tea (明潭茶老爸)
Address: No. 50, Zhongxing Road, Yuchi Township, Nantou County
Website: facebook
Style: Cream puffs
Price: $$
 
If there's anything I've learned with all my Taiwan bakery stops is that if it's not popping up online, it probably doesn't exist anymore. This tea stand located right in front of OTOP souvenir store selling various flavours of cream puffs along with their black tea baumkuchen had the above name printed on their menus and signage, but an online search simply redirects me to the restaurant inside the said store - and how could there be no sign of something as photogenic as cream puffs? Their facebook advertises the baumkuchen, which means there is a connection between the sweets outside and noodles/rice inside. Nevertheless, I am presuming the cream puffs are gone?? 
At first I was only lured in by this cream puff stand because I wanted more than one stop in the Sun Moon Lake area, but I have to say I really was intrigued by the various flavours, many tea-based - and I hadn't had any cream puffs yet. ^^ I took the signature black tea ($25) and was kind of pressured into trying the brown sugar milk tea with tapioca pearls/boba ($35). These really were more cream wafers than puffs. The puffs themselves were so thin and brittle that the worker completely crushed one simply by picking it up (why I should get and pay for that is a bit unfair x_x), but I still liked that super crunchy texture teamed up with the custard-like cream. The black tea was very good, but I didn't like the boba brown sugar milk tea one. Too many things going on, too sweet and I actually don't like tapioca balls and certainly didn't like them here; they were too overbearing on so delicate a pastry (which is probably why it cracked...).

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment