Hattendo

Bakery: Hattendo 八天堂
Address: 100 City Centre Dr, Mississauga ON 
Style: Japanese
Price: $$$

Hattendo is a Japanese cream bun chain that suddenly appeared in downtown Toronto (on Baldwin, to be exact) and fairly expanded to a couple locations, one of which is inside Square One mall's new "foodie zone". Given that so many businesses in this foodie zone come and go, I'm not sure how long this Square One location will last, but I was there to give it a try. 
Despite having one or two more items on the menu, their signature is various flavours of cream buns ($3.50). Not cream puffs, but thick, rich cream inside sweet, soft bread that outwardly looks a bit like a hamburger bun. I took green tea and white peach. I like when they're a little cold so the cream in the middle doesn't turn into a total disaster - because it was as overwhelming as I imagined. The bread was soft and fresh and I liked the taste of the cream, especially the more unique, subtle white peach filling. I just thought they were a bit pricey for what you get. 

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment