The Voyageur's Lodge and Cookhouse


 
 
 
 
Bakery: The Voyageur's Lodge and Cookhouse
Address: ON-17, Batchawana Bay ON 
Style: Apple fritters, Canadian 
Price: $$$$ 

I genuinely hope that this will be the last bakery/Cake Tour stop on my little site to get docked points for horrendous service and a thoroughly unpleasant experience. I went for so many years without resorting to that (and I have always said I don't care about service - I'm there for the baked goods, not the smiles), but at the very least, it's the last one on my rather lengthy list of bakery reviews that still need to be finished off and posted. That's a relief.
Driving along Hwy 17 on the brutal stretch between Sault Ste. Marie and Thunder Bay, there was a giant sign advertising apple fritters. Hot and fresh apple fritters... okay, I don't remember exactly what the sign said, but it did its trick. Amid the souvenir store junk, there is indeed an apple fritter stand that pumps out hot apple fritters. Seeing as they've got a retail monopoly, I guess they can charge as much as they want for them, though. $3.50 for one is still too much and it feels like a tourist trap. The hot part did get to me and they were nicely glazed too with a great slightly crunchy outside. Quite a dark brown though, almost like they were fried too long, but they don't taste like it. Actually, they had almost the taste and texture of a dark bread, like a pumpernickel; they were quite doughy. This might also be owing to the fact that there were hardly any apples in it. In the end, I'd describe it a big bread ball, but still it was pretty good (the Soo has better ones though...). Fritters recommended (***), the rest not so much. 

Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment