原味香古早味蛋糕 [Mimi's World Tour]


Bakery: 原味香古早味蛋糕 (Original Flavour Cake) 
Address: No. 135, Zhongzheng Road, Tamsui District, New Taipei 
Website: n/a
Style: Castella
Price: $$ 
 
I'm not sure why (perhaps Fort San Domingo has something to do with it?), but one of Tamsui's signature foods is castella cake. The shopping street is lined with several cake stands selling nothing but giant slabs of the stuff and you don't have to look far to see someone toting a cake box. I first noticed this strange castella craziness while wondering what on earth all those people were lining up for. Coming closer, I saw a man take out the biggest slab of cake and start slicing it up. You can expect I wanted a piece of the cake, to so speak; however, the stall with the long line only sold big "full" chunks. There was no line next door, but they sold half-chunks, which is more manageable for a single person. I went next door. 
And I'm glad I did! I got a half portion of the original castella ($50). As I kept walking, I saw a girl take the castella she had just bought, tear open the box and start gorging herself on the stuff. Now, my intent was to eat it later on, but the warmth of the cake emanating through the box, the aroma wafting through gap in the handles... I couldn't resist. I sat down by the water, cracked open my absolutely adorable box and dug right in. 
Moist and fluffy with a strong eggy taste (definitely more pronounced when I ate it warm upon purchase as opposed than at room temperature), this unassuming cake was delicious! I never would have expected it to be that good... so fresh, so flavourful and the texture was incredible. It wasn't as good two hours later, but I was still so impressed. Hands down the best castella I've ever had!

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment