HCafe

Bakery: HCafe
Address: 158 Main St Unionville, Unionville ON
Style: Japanese
Price: $$$ 
 
I've wanted to check out this Japanese cafe for quite some time now; rather, I was always thinking I'd try the original Yonge St location, but there's no sign of it or any other location online and yet this one seems to stress the "Unionville" part. Their website doesn't even work, so I don't know... is it the same people running it as before? Nevertheless, it was off to Unionville... 

In keeping with the fact that I believe they took over Uncle Tetsu's Unionville location, HCafe's focus is baked cheesecake as well as a few other varieties of Japanese sweets, mostly larger items for taking home, but they do have a few individual items such as muffin-shaped madeleines and daifuku. The real variety comes in their various flavours, however, as they have a few unique versions that you won't find elsewhere. Prices are a bit steep for the size, in my opinion, but I was expecting that going into it.
The highlight, in my opinion, was the sakura no-bake cheesecake ($9 for small). I'm not usually a big fan of floral notes in my baking, but this was so delicate and perfectly complemented the slightly tart, creamy cheese base. Excellent. 
The matcha muffin ($3.50), sometimes labelled as a madeleine depending on where you look, tasted like neither. It didn't have the super rich buttery taste of a madeleine that I love or the texture of a muffin, but despite all its titles, it was very good, with a moist, spongy dough and a delicious matcha taste. Great place to stop and go over-budget. -_- 

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment