Oma's Deli Deli German Bakery [Mimi's Cake Tour]



Bakery: Oma's Deli Deli German Bakery
Address: No. 406-1, Section 4, Ren'ai Road, Da’an District, Taipei 
Style: German 
Price: $$-$$$ 

Let's all admit that you have to greet any "European" bakery in any country in Asia with a certain degree of skepticism. You can't be prepared for anything remotely authentic, but sometimes you can be surprised. Oma's falls into the surprised category. I don't know about the restaurant portion of their business, but I was rather impressed with their small bakery counter, though most of the selection was bread, rolls and more savoury items. Perhaps it didn't all scream German, but there was certainly a European aspect to everything. Yes, it may have been amplified by the fact that the customer in front of me was an older German lady (who tried - and failed - to address the staff in German XD), but it wasn't bad in terms of authenticity. Items are labelled in German, Chinese and English.
Honestly, I just wished they had more sweet selections! Some poppy seed buns or cake? ;) There was something I really wanted, but it was sold out... and I don't remember what it was. Instead, I felt like I almost had to take the cinnamon bun ($50) by default; there wasn't that much else I could have picked from. However, I was very impressed by the texture of the dough, both hard, a little crusty along the edges and soft and cinnamon-loaded towards the inside. Excellent icing on top. This was flavourful and delicious. Most importantly, it wasn't European-inspired, it didn't have the same fluffy dough you'll encounter at every single bakery - it was the real deal and it was good

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment