Hokkaido Keki [Mimi's World Tour]


Bakery: Hokkaido Keki (北海道ケ-キ) 
Address: No. 130, Zhongyuan Street, Zhongshan District, Taipei 
Website: n/a
Style: Chinese, Japanese
Price: $$ 
 
I have a blip on the map/address for this business, but no concrete information which makes me think that it no longer exists... Which is a bit surprising because when I was there it was fairly busy, though at the same time I wasn't very impressed with the goods and maybe others agreed? Hokkaido Keki is a Japanese-inspired bakery that sold gift boxes, cream rolls and individual baked goods that could just as well be found in any nearby bakery, Japanese or not. In addition to this, they had my destination: a small stall in the entrance dedicated to selling "Hokkaido crispy doughnuts". 
Now, I toured Hokkaido from top to bottom (unless Hokkaido here is indirectly referring to milk and not the island?) and never encountered what I like to call quintessentially Taiwanese crispy milk doughnuts. Actually, I didn't even find these outside of Taipei... You know which ones I'm talking about, crispy and golden brown with a dense dough and powdery topping. They can be pretty good, by the way. ;) 
This uh, "Hokkaido crispy doughnut" ($28), on the other hand, instantly disappointed. Most importantly, it wasn't crispy! The outside was soft, almost soggy; inside, the dense yet not that soft dough heightened that stale feeling. However, it was that overwhelming powdery topping that got to me. In some places it was so heavy that it became more compact and pasty. Actually, for lack of a better word, it was pretty gross. What a dud.

Rating: *1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment