Blackbird Doughnuts [International Correspondent]


Bakery: Blackbird Doughnuts
Address: 11 Holyoke St, Cambridge, MA
Style: Doughnuts
Price: $$-$$$ 

Like the other doughnut shop I went to, Union Square, this is a local franchise with a few locations around the Boston area. I went to the one at Harvard. The first thing I noticed about Blackbird is that they spell doughnuts right! You sometimes see it with Canadian doughnut shops, but never in the US. I was surprised.
They have the typical "hipster doughnut" concept of ten or so seasonal/rotating flavours at once and if they sell out that day, it's gone. Which is kind of annoying and I don't understand why you can't make doughnuts fresh throughout the day. Whatever. I don't really remember the exact flavour I took. I'm pretty sure it was passion fruit ($3). It was a weird fruit and it's so hard to find gourmet fruit flavours. There were fruit chunks on it, but they all started falling off and the wax paper thing stuck to the glaze. It was still good, but it turned into a bit of a disaster. I don't know which doughnut shop was better. The topping was superior here, though. It was fresh and the dough was good, but not exceptional. I'd return to this one.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment