洪瑞珍 [Mimi's World Tour]


Bakery: 洪瑞珍 (Hong Ruizhen)
Address: No. 125-2, Zhongshan Road, Central District, Taichung
Style: Chinese
Price: $$ 
 
 This small-scale bakery is without a doubt known for its sandwiches. You know the ones I'm talking about: sliced fluffy white bread cut into triangles with the crust removed and stacked with a variety of disgusting fillings. Man, do I ever hate sandwiches! Thankfully, in addition to all those varieties of sandwiches, they have all your standard sweet selections with a special focus on sponge/pound cakes (must be the similarity to that fluffy white bread) that includes several types of castella cake. The latter was definitely a star attraction I would enjoy! 
I grabbed a small slab of the matcha castella ($35). Now, I love castella, but my recent attempts prior to visiting this bakery hadn't been that stellar. They simply didn't live up to my expectations. This one was quite generous in size for the price and had the nice spongy, moist texture I like. There was a delicate matcha taste that still allowed you to enjoy that classic castella flavour. Good stuff - and it sure beats those sandwiches! 

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment