開喜蛋糕公司 [Mimi's World Tour]


Bakery: 開喜蛋糕公司 (Kaixi Cake Company)
Address: No. 117, Dehui Street, Zhongshan District, Taipei
Website: n/a
Style: Chinese
Price: $-$$ 
 
This small triangle of streets in between elevated roads is a bit grittier than the rest of nearby Zhongshan District; it's not such a nice place to walk, but it's still home to a couple bakeries I did - and it was all within walking distance of my apartment, so I definitely took advantage of the opportunity. The first on the list was this humble, perfectly unadorned bakery selling well-priced baked good basics, both in terms of sweet and savoury bread and buns. If you want the last baking trend in Taiwan, you won't find it here. What you will find, however, is simple yet tasty baked goods.
Among this smaller, more modest selection, I picked out the coconut-topped flaky danish ($45). This actually didn't look that great in the picture - honestly, its bread slice-like shape made it look equally like I chunk of, I don't know, cheese bread, but the taste was all there. Nice flaky dough, though without any distinct flavour of its own, topped with a sort of coconut streusel with an unnecessary raisin here and there. Actually tasted better than I expected. 

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment