Black Rook Bakehouse

Bakery: Black Rook Bakehouse
Address: 2474 E Hastings St, Vancouver BC 
Style: Canadian
Price: $$$
 
This bakery has more of a cafe vibe than a full-scale bakery. Do they even sell stuff like bread? I was too busy checking out the sweets to notice. Nonetheless, their specialty seems to be their slices of elaborate tiered cakes (the various flavours appear to rotate throughout the week), specifically the sponge cake and frosted type (which isn't really my thing). Besides this, they sell a few pie slices and a couple squares and baked goods/pastries. Not much, so selection is limited. 
I have to admit the cinnamon bun ($4.95) looked really good with its thinner glaze and an almost caramelized cinnamon mass oozing out of it. Just look at that thing.... Maybe because the expectations were so high, but I thought it would be better. Inside, I found it a little on the dry side, especially where the dough was big and fat, thus lacking that much-needed cinnamon flavour. It could have been the airy brioche dough I wasn't a big fan of? I felt like appearances deceived me a little this time around - and that rarely happens. 

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment