Ru Yi Syuan Baker's House [Mimi's World Tour]



Bakery: Ru Yi Syuan Baker's House (如意軒麵包店)
Address: No. 131, Zhongshan Road, Yuchi Township, Nantou County
Style: Chinese
Price: $$ 
 
This bakery (the only one for that matter) in the heart of Shuishe's business sector definitely gets bonus points for its absolutely adorable look. Bakeries rarely go to the effort of standing out from the rest in terms of appearance, but come on, the little mushroom house connected to the rest of the bakery along with the gnome decorations? Ingenious! Nevertheless, this small bakery has a fairly standard selection of sweet and savoury bread with some gift boxes; their specialty appears to be (at least it's what they sell out of the mushroom house) sweet potato pancakes and red bean pastries. 
As I was examining what they had, the worker walked up and said that if I wanted anything on the tray by the cash she would bag it herself as they were still hot and could break apart. Still hot? You know what I'm taking! So I took the sweet bun ($25) with no label (coffee bread? in my notes I called it a Hokkaido bun - was there a special reason for that?), hot off the tray. Sure enough, it was still very warm and... it also fell apart a little during transport. Excellent hard crust with a soft and flavourful bun underneath; for such a simple bun it was so good. It rarely happens, but I was even thinking of popping in the next day and seeing if they had more freshly baked goodies for me to try! 

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment