Black Sheep Pastries


Bakery: Black Sheep Pastries
Address: 140-815 17 Ave SW, Calgary AB 
Style: French, Canadian
Price: $$$  

Speaking of kouign amann... they're not the most common pastries, even in French patisseries, so I'm quite impressed that I'm able to do two back-to-back reviews containing these delectable buttery pastries. After all, the instant I tried my first kouign amann, many years ago, I just knew it was one of my favourite French pastries. Black Sheep gets points for not only selling a classic kouign amann, but flavoured versions. I could hardly believe it!
Having made such an ingenious move, please tell me why it had to include banana!? x_x I mean, I still had to give both the original ($3.50) and the banana pecan ($4.00) a try, but I'm not a big fan of bananas, especially in baking, and really didn't find the combination of bananas and buttery pastry pleasant. Bananas and nuts, perhaps. Nuts and butter, oh yeah, but all three together was pushing it. That being said, there wasn't really that much butter; rather, the kouign amann was pretty dry, especially the classic version. Where were the moist buttery layers, the caramelization? We're not even talking about croissants here - this is supposed to be decadence in pastry form... and in this sense it fell a little flat.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment