Like Bakery [Mimi's World Tour]


Bakery: Like Bakery (萊客烘焙坊)
Address: No. 325, Section 3, Chongqing North Road, Datong District, Taipei
Website: n/a
Style: Chinese
Price: $-$$ 

I was actually looking for a doughnut stand (what else?) on a side road near here and couldn't find it. When I checked the map afterwards, I found that I'd walked past it twice and still hadn't seen it, so maybe it was closed that day? Nevertheless, I was really getting frustrated with ending up with nothing and remembered I'd passed by this simple bakery (and that the lady tried to get me to enter LOL). So, turning around, I went to Like Bakery. This bakery makes full use of their sidewalk space, setting up tables of traditional Chinese pastries like moon cakes, steamed cakes, those peach ones and all things celebratory/offertory. Inside, it's all the typical varieties of more Westernized bread, with what seemed to be a special focus on cheese bread. 
Hey, I was feeling denied! So I tried out the doughnut ring ($20) from this bakery. In taste, it resembled a sweet sugar bun more than an actual doughnut. It was very puffy and bun-like, with none of the indulgent excitement of a doughnut. I also noticed quite a few places used this super-fine granulated sugar (or course powdered sugar) and I have to confess I don't like it - and they used it here. It was pretty good, but maybe I should have taken advantage of the opportunity and taken something from the sidewalk? 

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment