Fika

Bakery: Fika
Address: 28 Kensington Ave, Toronto ON
Style: Swedish, Scandinavian
Price: $$$ 
 
I have actually know about Fika's existence for many a year but never really thought of it as more than just a coffee shop. Somehow, whether it was through reading an old review or casually checking out the chalkboard outside in the good old days, I knew this lovely Nordic-style cafe had sandwiches (open-faced, of course) and had to have some sort of sweets (it being Fika, after all), but never expected anything beyond their ginger snaps and brownies. Turns out they sell a few more pastries than I expected; many aren't necessarily super Scandinavian but the classic Swedish cinnamon buns (your only destination for them in the GTA since the sole Swedish bakery closed its doors too long ago) were, though a pleasant surprise, still relatively understandable, but I never expected to find *that*. 
I actually didn't buy this in person, but was instead greeted with a small package and "I got you a cardamom bomb". At first, my mind didn't register what exactly a cardamom bomb was, but I soon knew. It's a semla... wait a minute, FIKA HAS SEMLOR!!? One of the best Swedish baked goods, this is a cross between a fluffy sweet bun and a doughnut. Add to that an extra delicious helping of cardamom and whipped cream and you've got an amazing baked good. I feel like this one couldn't beat the first semla I had, but despite being a bit unmanageable in terms of the amount of whipped cream, wow. 

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment