Hartmanns Bakery

Bakery: Hartmanns Bakery
Address: Westgate Public Market, 2090 10 Ave SW, Salmon Arm BC
Style: German
Price: $$$ 
 
I don't know if it's because I never really go this way when in Salmon Arm or this is a newer bakery, but I remember driving down the highway and wondering if that bakery sign was there before. It can't be so old, can it? Disregarding its age, Hartmanns Bakery is certainly busy. I don't remember the last time I had so many people in front of me at a bakery, and those being particularly voracious, buying out every single thing in sight until it was my turn... and I was greeted with an empty display case. It's not often I have to ask that dreaded question: are those the only sweets you have left? 
I asked to no avail: I was left with two remaining cookie varieties, both with about three or four cookies left each. What in addition to those two cookies and the chocolate pastry the man in front of me bought out Hartmanns sells is a mystery. Do they have more sweets earlier on in the day? Or are they a bread-focused bakery and don't bother with more baked goods and sweet treats? All I remember is empty shelves.... 
I'm not the biggest fan of buying cookies at a bakery. I prefer baking my own and find that they're too expensive for what they are. It doesn't cost me much to bake cookies, even with butter and all the good stuff. These I found very expensive. I had the apricot shortbread ($2.40) and a "bobbes" ($3.20). The shortbread was good and had a homemade feel to it, but again it was something I could have made myself. The star of the show had to be the bobbes: a sort of layered shortbread monstrosity (LOL) with marzipan and nuts. It didn't look like anything special at first, but mmm, this was delicious! 

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment