Mundy Park Bakery

 Bakery: Mundy Park Bakery
Address: 1924 Como Lake Ave, Coquitlam BC 
Style: Canadian
Price: $-$$ 
 
It's kind of a shame that Metro Vancouver has so few classic "old-school" Canadian bakeries left: relatively inexpensive, not too ornate and well-stocked with a variety of goodies. Maybe they're not sophisticated, they're no works of art on your plate, but they taste good and satisfy your sweet tooth - and isn't that the most important thing? Mundy Park certainly falls into the category of classic Canadian bakery: they have plenty of selection (and probably had more earlier in the day) of baked goods, cookies, simple squares and cakes and a few Dutch treats as well, they're really well priced and unpretentious.
I first had to try their cinnamon buns with icing ($2.19) - I mean, if you're going to advertise it outside then it's something you've gotta be proud of. There is also a version without icing, but come on... Unfortunately, some of that icing remained on the bag, but it was gooey and decadent without being too overwhelming. I don't know why, but the dough dried out really fast, especially along the sides, but it improved when heated. 
The same couldn't exactly be said of the raspberry danish ($1.79). I'll admit I was a little unsure of taking it, because other items were totally cleaned out and the fruit danishes were more or less fully stocked. I almost want to say they weren't baked that day, but I hope that's not the case; the stiff dough simply felt so stale. It was hard inside and out and just didn't have the texture I was anticipating. Some more jam would have also helped, I think. 

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment