Bread and Salt Bakehouse

Bakery: Bread and Salt Bakehouse
Address: 3455 Semenyk Ct, Mississauga ON 
Style: Middle Eastern
Price: $$ 

This newer bakery appears to be related to the Afghan restaurant on Dundas. It has the same name and logo, so it's a bit of a given and yet the bakery offshoot comes across as more Lebanese with its zaatar- and pita bread-heavy selection as opposed to something like barbari bread which I would associate more with Afghan baking. I was a little confused. Nonetheless, despite it being located in an industrial area, this unique bakery is an upscale fusion of Middle Eastern and European styles and flavours, especially in their sweet assortment that ranges from buttery French pastries to creamy cakes. 
Starting with the more traditional European pastries, I took the chocolate croissant ($2.99). The French dough was nice and flaky, with a great crunch when you bit into it and a good amount - not too skimpy which is sometimes the problem - of chocolate. 
I spotted honey cake in the cake section and... said opera cake when it came to ordering it. Not wanting to correct myself after such a silly blunder, I stuck to my opera cake ($5.99). After all, I like opera cake as well and this was a pretty one, with multiple layers of alternating dough, chocolate and vanilla cream. The problem was, in my opinion, that the chocolate slab on top in addition to the thick chocolate cream in between made simply taste like chocolate, to an overpowering degree.
Without a doubt, however, the highlight had to be the double-baked pistachio croissant with mulberry jam ($3.95). I love double-baked croissants as it is and this pistachio version was delicious: nutty with a sweet jam filling and a chewy texture, though it could have been more buttery and had more of that amazing pistachio topping. An excellent and interesting addition to the Mississauga bakery scene. 

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment