Village Bakery

Bakery: Village Bakery
Address: 116 Auriol St, Haines Junction YT
Website: http://www.villagebakeryyukon.com/
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$ 

Well, I feel it only fair to confess right away that I didn't actually go to the actual Village Bakery, much to my disappointment. However, having gone on an organized tour of Kluane, I only expected to drive by the bakery and be unable to go in (an absolutely devastating idea, I know!), so I was fortunate enough that the tour bus stopped at the FasGas gas station to refuel -- the sign in the picture really is how close I got to the actual Village Bakery. We were told that we could pick up coffee and snacks inside the station store and I, hoping for the impossible, popped inside to find... a basket of goodies from Village Bakery! :) That being said, now that I'm looking at the photos online, I would have loved to pop into the log cabin bakery and grab one of their cinnamon buns, danishes, or squares. Instead, I had to content myself with a choice of muffin or scone. Not the biggest of fan of either, I was actually considering whether to take anything at all, but then that little blip on the map on Haines Junction came to mind and I... ran back inside before we had to drive off. Thank you to Who What Where Tours for making that stop and helping Mimi's Cake Tour! ^^
Having to choose between the aforementioned muffin or scone, I went for the scone ($4 @FasGas). After all, I noticed it seemed a quintessential Yukon bakery find: the big, triangular scone stuffed with fruit. In this case, it was the blueberry variety. Slightly flaky dough on the outside, more airy and moist than I expected a scone to be, and filled with fruit. This would go great with butter or clotted cream, but unfortunately, I had none, so it was a little dry on its own. Still didn't convert me to the scone side, but a good treat... from Haines Junction. Yes!!

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment