Sandrine

Bakery: Sandrine 
Address: 1865 Dilworth Dr, Kelowna BC
Website: http://www.sandrinepastry.com/
Style: French
Price: $$-$$$

Why, yes, Kelowna does have a French patisserie. I'm not actually sure why this turned into one of the last bakeries on my list, but that's how it happened. Nonetheless, located in a plaza across from the mall, it's not the most conspicuous bakery, but inside the bright, modern space, you have your classic selection of elegant cakes, cookies, colourful macarons, handmade chocolates and what I assume was a counter of flaky pastries -- at least I deduced the latter from the labels and stray crumbs. They also have a large selection of savoury items, including French sausages, quiches, and duck confit, along with a series of lovely-looking sorbet cakes. I would love to try the black currant one; it looked delicious!!
 I came in with a craving for some flaky French dough or perhaps a fruit tart, but found the first gone/sold out and the latter not available. I don't know why I always have the luck of coming and finding nothing left. :/ Someone seems to beat me to it, every time, without fail... Anyways, I was intrigued by their counter-top feature: several varieties of "tea cakes" ($3.25). Yes, madeleines. And I happen to love madeleines; I haven't one in ages! I was debating between a few, but finally settled on the apricot brandy version. How could you pass up a combination like that? Moist, dense buttery dough with a definite hint of alcohol and a touch of fruit. Madeleines are all about the butter and I felt like they could have been more... buttery, though I'm not sure if perhaps the flavour simply detracted from appreciating the classic butter taste.
The "chocolate love" ($5.95) was also tried. Many of the cake slices (as is often the case) were chocolate centred, and this was probably the choclatiest of the bunch. Rich milk chocolate mousse, sponge cake and a dark chocolate ganache on top, with two handmade chocolates on top. I think rich might not even cover it. ;D It was a lovely creation and if you love chocolate, this is for you. I just don't know what happened between it being packed and unpacked. I wish places like this had smaller, individual boxes for their pricier goodies.... ;___;

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment