Steveston Bakery

Bakery: Steveston Bakery 
Address: 12231 No. 1 Rd, Richmond BC 
Website: https://www.stevestonbakery.com/
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$ 

It was a little late when I finally made my way to Steveston on a Sunday afternoon, which normally means a recipe for baked good disaster, but I was surprised to find that Steveston Bakery still had baskets of some of their more rustic, hodgepodge array of goodies ranging from croissants to Nanaimo bars, cookies to tarts, all fairly reasonably priced (especially given its location).
I was even more surprised when, among this selection, I spotted it: a poppy seed danish ($2.50). Really, these don't come up often unless it's a German or Eastern European bakery, so to find one right in the middle of what I would call typical Canadian bakery fare, oooh, I was excited! ^^; A large spiral of slightly flaky dough stuffed with delicious, flavourful poppy seed mass. Plenty of it, in fact. No icing, no glaze or sugar coating -- just pull-apart dough and the chance to savour every bite of poppy seed goodness. I'll admit it's unlikely that everything else lives up to this beauty, but a thrilling find and my personal favourite sweet stop in Richmond.

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment