Tombstone Interpretive Centre

Bakery: Tea & Bannock at Tombstone Park Interpretive Centre
Address: Dempster Highway, YT
Website: .../camping-parks/Tombstone-Interpretive-Centre.php
Style: Canadian
Price: --

Okay, yes, I know. This is one of my more far-fetched Cake Tours, but really, it was so hard to resist when the pictures were already taken (though I can't believe why I didn't take a picture of the building itself...) and the treat eaten. :P So: along the Dempster Highway, right at the start of the stunning Tombstone Territorial Park, there is the park's interpretive centre that happens to serve tea and bannock every Wednesday in the summer. What's more, it's all free! As luck would have it, I was there on Wednesday, at the right time; in fact, I actually ended up at the season's last tea and bannock. Lucky lucky.
 Naturally, I grabbed a mug and had some of the tea, a herbal tea brewed from wild herbs picked in the park; it was so good and the tea, at any rate, is available free throughout the day, any day (in peak season, I presume?) at the stove in the middle of the interpretive centre.
Outside, in a little enclosure right next to the entrance, the bannock was a-frying in a simple pot atop a portable stove (courtesy of one park interpreter) and the small clusters (too small for me XD) were served hot with homemade plum or rose hip (I'm pretty sure that was the empty jar of what was some sort of red stuff) jam; I had plum. I've had bannock here and there; I've even fried my own and I can say with certainty that this bannock was the best I've tried so far. This was delicious, even more so with the slightly tangy jam spooned on top. Yummy!! It took all my self-restraint to not run back for more... I wouldn't want to be accused of not letting others have some. .____.; What a fantastic and totally unexpected experience!

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment