Passion et Gourmandises

Bakery: Passion et Gourmandises
Address: 77 Avenue des Pins E, Montreal QC
Website: http://www.passionetgourmandises.com/
Style: French
Price: $$ 

It always amazes me how many bakeries I still have to do in the Plateau Mont-Royal. Really, it's a wonderful thing. *-* The next on that list (and the first bakery on this latest 8-day trip to Montreal) is Passion et Gourmandises, an airy, open-concept space with plenty of seating and a minimalist counter of products in one corner. Minimalist seemed to likewise cover the selection. I'm always a little stumped in these kinds of situations; do I go on the wrong day at the wrong time or are the shelves usually so... barren?  With one or two each of every item and not much variety, including fancier cake slices and flaky pastries, it took me awhile to figure out what to take, seeing as my usual patisserie favourites were nowhere to be seen.
Recalling a beyond-delicious almond croissant I had had once in Vancouver (where I was likewise a little pressed for choice), I finally settled on the same thing here: the croissant aux amandes ($3.75, with tax). Even when photographing it, I noted that the typical French layered and flaky pastry was instead composed of almost strips or bands of dough rolled to form something resembling a croissant. It didn't look really look like a croissant, nor did it have the telltale texture. The dough was simply too... doughy. The taste, specifically the almond mass inside was good, though very rich. Finishing this off, I felt like I'd downed two days' worth of caloric intake in one baked good -- and that seemed like a very un-French feeling.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment