Alpine Bakery

Bakery: Alpine Bakery 
Address: 411 Alexander St, Whitehorse YT 
Website: https://alpinebakery.ca/
Style: Organic, Canadian, German
Price: $$ 

For as long as the Cake Tour has been alive, I've had the dream to review a Yukon bakery (okay, the dream was to visit the Yukon, but reviewing a bakery was just a natural extension). One bakery, any bakery -- and that dream came true, except it turned into a lot more than just one bakery. :) Perhaps some were a little far-fetched, but hey! you need to make the most of an opportunity and get in as many sweets as possible.

On my first day in Whitehorse, I made my way to Alpine Bakery, in its charming log cabin. This is a 100% organic bakery that, unfortunately, specializes more in bread and savoury items than in sweets. At the very least, this was my impression upon being greeted with shelves of bread and all people in front of me ordering soup or pizza (was it pizza or foccacia?). The sweets were relegated to one part of a single display case and featured rather simple fare like scones, cinnamon rolls, muffins and cookies. Nothing too elaborate and nothing too... sweet, in fact. I would have liked more German baked goods, besides the bread and pretzel selection. I found the cookies painfully expensive, along with the apple strudel and so on my inaugural tour, I went with with one of my favourites: the cinnamon roll.
I love cinnamon rolls after all, so I wanted to give this one ($3.75 with tax) a try. A flatter bun rolled into a spiral and drizzled with a nice amount of icing on top, I have to confess I wasn't a fan of the raisins (this is because I'm not particularly fond of raisins), and usually, there aren't that many. They were especially generous with them here. Still, the amount of cinnamon was just right and the taste was good; maybe the dough texture was a little stiff, but I still enjoyed it and it prepared me for a lot more Yukon Cake Tours to come. :)

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment