Cheekakos' Bakeshop

Bakery: Cheekakos' Bakeshop
Address: 902 Front St, Dawson YT 
Website: facebook
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$-$$$ 

The one proper, dedicated bakery in Dawson, Cheekakos is a seasonal business operating through peak season and I would say offers more options for lunch and bread than it does goodies for those coming in with a sweet tooth, with the latter focusing on scones. I was also surprised that, actually coming there in the morning, there wasn't that much to choose from and I found the fairly large space a bit... empty. Instead, I was greeted with signs with no products and empty baskets; some items had labels, some didn't; some had prices, many did not. To tell the truth, I found the two grocery stores had more exciting selection.
Nevertheless, one of my travel goals had been to review Cheekakos' (lol, should I really be admitting this?) so I absolutely could not leave empty-handed. One of the items I did want, however, were empty, so I decided on my second pick: the Dutch apple spice cake ($4.45 w/ tax). The price came as a bit of a surprise, but I do love spice cake, so I was curious to try this one out. The cake dough was moist, though I probably would have preferred a little more "spice" to it. It could have been more flavourful. Nice amount of apples, not too much to detract from the cake nor too little. The streusel on top was a particularly tasty touch; I mean, what goes better with spice cake than streusel? Mmm, in the end, it didn't turn so bad after all~

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment