Shediac Bakery

Bakery: Shediac Bakery 
Address: 482 Main St, Shediac NB 
Website: facebook 
Style: Acadian, Canadian 
Price: $-$$ 

Continuing along the coast, the next stop was Lobster Capital of the World: Shediac. But of course, the goal wasn't to try some lobster; it was to try the bakery! Shediac Bakery serves traditional Acadian fare: raisin pies and a couple unique things (see below) that I didn't manage to find elsewhere. As with other Maritime bakeries, many items came pre-packed on Styrofoam trays with two to six items to one, which always makes sampling items a little more difficult.
 Still, the first item up for trying was the Acadian fruit pie or bun (I'm not quite sure what it was called). This was a fairly dry dough, not quite a pie. Perhaps most similar to dough used for savoury English-style pasties. It was quite a hard one to pinpoint. Inside, it was stuffed with a compote of apple, raisins and rhubarb. The concept certainly sounded good, but I was surprised to find the dough not sweet at all. It didn't really match and I found it dry. Not quite what I was expecting.
The second item were these "butterflies". Way back when, I used to love getting these from a local bakery when I was a kid, but since then I haven't really taken them from a bakery. These were rich and flaky, and though a bit dry as well, I liked the glazed sugar on top. I didn't expect it, but these were my favourite of the two. Overall, I preferred the other Acadian stop (in Cap-Pelé) on this tour.

Rating: **

2 comments:

  1. These butterflies are really Pets des Soeurs or Nun's Farts, you can get them fudgy or taffy-like. You know nothing about Acadian baking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my little website and for your comment.

      Yes, I'm from way out west originally and this was just a road trip from several years ago, so my goal isn't to pretend I know anything about Acadian baking. I'm not providing recipes or background stories - I'm here to try new things, explore new places and review bakeries.

      Delete