Dawson City General Store

Bakery: Dawson City General Store 
Address: 1000 Front St, Dawson YT 
Website: facebook 
Style: Canadian 
Price: $-$$ 

Turns out that the "city" of Dawson has two independent grocery stores, both with their own in-house bakeries, in addition to a dedicated bakery (which, judging by the name, I believe to be seasonal). What? This is amazing! Going in to this, I was hoping to get one and came back with three Cake Tours. *-*

The first is the Dawson City General Store, where I actually went to buy some milk. At first, I only spotted boxed baked goods, sold in packs of six. However, soon afterwards, I noticed that those same baked goods were also available for individual purchase from the rows of self-serve bins. In some ways, it is what you what you would expect from a grocery store: simple, reasonably priced baked goods like a few types of doughnuts, cinnamon buns and danishes.
I was in the mood for a treat and I couldn't resist my first doughnut of the trip. ^^ More specifically, I went for the raspberry bismark ($1.29), a classic raspberry jelly doughnut coated in sugar. It looked good. However, biting into one probably within an hour of purchase, I was a little disappointed to find it not at peak freshness. And a jelly doughnut needs to be fresh in order for it to be enjoyable. Or maybe it was also the denser, flatter dough that made it not as soft as I would have liked it?  Pretty good, but I was hoping for better with my inaugural Dawson stop.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment