L'Oven

Bakery: L'Oven Farm Fresh Food
Address: 8-2565 Main St, West Kelowna BC
Website: http://sphere.bc.ca
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$

I am not exactly sure how to describe L'Oven; it's almost as difficult as remembering to swerve into the right parking lot. Once you miss it, it's another round of U-turns for you. Nevertheless, it's a bit of a mixed bag serving breakfast, lunch and dinner (including pizza, tacos and noodles) with a bakery counter on the side, along with local products strewn here and there. It is, you could say, first and foremost, a place for the conscientious, origin-concerned diner featuring local, non-GMO, organic and sustainably grown ingredients. Good stuff.

Amid that mouthful, however, they do have a bakery. Yes, did you catch it in there? Although I'm not quite sure if all items are gluten-free or just some? That being said, I didn't find the bakery section all that extensive. Items such as pound cake came in petite slices and cookies were packaged in little baggies and their "famous cinnamon buns", I learned, were a weekend-only feature. I had come once and found it closed when it was supposed to be open; another time, I missed the turnoff, so I was intent on getting something this time around. At last, I was intrigued by a tray of... something sweet (it wasn't labelled). Upon asking what it was, I learned it was peach cobbler; after all, at the time of purchase, it was peach season in the Okanagan. And I love peach baked goods and cobbler, so what a combo!
The peach cobbler ($2, with tax) it was. It came in a little ice cream pail and when I took it out, I realized how small it was. Aww, this wasn't a treat for the hungry. :( Baked golden brown on top with all the peaches located on the bottom, the mid-layer of moist sponge cake had kind of mixed with the fruit and created one thing I'm not a fan of: mushy dough. I'm not sure if the absorbent cake dough was a good choice with baked fruit. Great taste, good ingredients, but the texture needed work.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment