Tatchun Centre General Store

Bakery: Tatchun Centre General Store
Address: 35607 Klondike Hwy, Carmacks YT
Website: http://www.hotelcarmacks.com/tatchun-centre-general-store
Style: Canadian 
Price: $

Well, yes, some of my Yukon tours were a little far-fetched to say the least, but I just couldn't resist the idea of having a little cake plopped right on top of Carmacks. And, granted, it is a little difficult to do Cake Tours when relying on public transportation, so I couldn't stop at the "cinnamon bun airstrip" over at Braeburn Lodge. :( Nonetheless, the bus makes at a bathroom stop at Tatchun Centre and it does come up when you search for bakeries on Google. So there. Let's begin!

Tatchun Centre is the local general store, a sort of mini supermarket with a lot of what you need; the bakery section itself, located in the left corner, is a pretty pathetic one with most products being packaged factory breads and boxed Vachon sweets, but while waiting in line for the bathroom (yes, the truth has been revealed), I was examining the fridge of prepared foods and spotted a row of pre-sliced, saran-wrapped squares and muffins. Simple goodies somewhat unevenly cut and clumsily packaged; it had to be either made by them or made by someone in town. The website above also says they make baked goods in store, so there we go! All (or all I was interested in) items were priced at a super reasonable $1.79 and I jumped at my unexpected chance. Take that, Braeburn Lodge!
It was a difficult choice and I could have gone with a few, but in the end I went with the triple berry crumble. It may not be presented all that nicely, but it makes up for it in taste: delicious shortbread crust, a tasty, fruit-loaded filling with blueberry being the most dominant berry, and a yummy crumble on top. Chewy texture, not too sweet -- thanks for letting me put Carmacks on the map! :)

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment