Baked Cafe

Bakery: Baked Cafe 
Address: 100 Main St, Whitehorse YT
Website: facebook 
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$-$$$

Baked, just like my first day of Cake Touring, was a place I knew about prior to stepping in to it. After all, I did so much bakery research for the Yukon leg of my trip so as not to accidentally miss one... and well, I applied to work here earlier this year and received no reply (that always spoils things, doesn't it? They certainly missed an opportunity...). However, despite the name, it really is more a cafe than a bakery, with a selection of hot meals that seemed all the rage on a strangely busy, almost chaotic afternoon. They do have some baked goods and sweets with perhaps some of the most interesting selection in the city judging from online photos... because when I was there, it was cleaned out except for some scones and one type of muffin.

Wondering whether I should come back on another day, I spotted a saran-wrapped croissant and danish in the 50% off day old basket. Knowing the croissant would already be dead, I snatched the danish and took it to the front and asked the worker whether they had any fresh pastries. Looking helplessly at the empty display case, they replied that's all they had left. O.O What happened here?
So I took it: the fruit danish ($2.15 including discount). With sliced peaches on a bed of custard cream inside a knot-shaped danish, the first thing that I really noticed was the pasty white colour of the danish. I mean, the slightly flaky texture and the taste, paired with the filling, were very good -- which should be the most important thing. You couldn't tell it was day old at all; I loved the less common peaches and cream combination, but I don't understand why it looked so unbaked. *scratches head*

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment