Blackbird Bakery

Bakery: Blackbird Bakery
Address: 2237 2nd Ave #130, Whitehorse YT 
Website: https://blackbirdbakerywhitehorse.com/
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$ 

The next bakery to do in Whitehose, Blackbird is just outside the downtown core and is located in  Waterfront Station. It's what I would consider "my style" of bakery; that is to say, it's sweets only. There's no bread or buns, pizza or soup. Just cakes and pies, tarts and cookies. That being said, this tiny bake shop does not have that much selection and the items they do have, there aren't really actual baked goods in terms of things that need to be eaten day-of like cinnamon buns or danishes -- actually, I noticed that no one really has any baked goods or doughnuts/apple fritters or anything along those lines (is Whitehorse my market for the taking?!). Instead, the display case features whole cakes and pies (I recall pecan and pumpkin) and the smaller case on the counter has cookies, butter tarts and squares. That about rounds things up.
I would have liked to try some pie, but slices were not available and there was no selection in terms of the cake slices. So, instead, I had the cranberry date square ($3.25). I have date squares now and then; it's one of my favourite "classic" baked goodies, but I have yet to see one with cranberries added to the mix. It was a nice choice: you had the thick sweetness of dates paired with tart cranberries, though together, I'm not sure it was that easy figuring out what the filling was if you didn't know in advance and some more of that tartness might have been a nice touch. The only thing I could say is that the topping could be improved, though; it needed a little more than a scattering of oats to get some more texture. As it was, it was a bit like a granola bar than a square.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment