350 Bakehouse and Cafe

Bakery: 350 Bakehouse and Cafe
Address: 567 Bernard Ave, Kelowna BC 
Website: http://www.350bakehousecafe.ca/
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$ 

While in downtown Kelowna to take care of another Cake Tour, I walked past the following sign on the sidewalk... and ran inside immediately. ;D I hadn't even noticed this place the first few times I'd been in the neighbourhood and this seemed strangely unforgivable. However, 350 had succeeded in luring me in and I was ready to take on this assignment. 
 This amply stocked bakeshop seems to have two specialties in the sweets department: cinnamon buns (available in two or three varieties) and doughnuts, slightly on the gourmet side with several flavours, but nothing too extravagant or distracting. Besides this, they have some slices of cakes, cookies available by the entrance, and additional squares and baked goodies. While I had a few items I would have liked to try the first time around, my mind kept going back to the sign outside. Even then, which doughnut to take? Ah, it was a difficult choice, but one had to be made. 
That came in the form of the jelly doughnut ($1.60), a unique, open concept take on the classic jelly doughnut with the filling sitting almost in a shell-like doughnut. At least it let you appreciate the thick fruity jam. The dough was nicely fried with a slight crunch on the outside and soft, moist dough on the inside; this dusted with granulated sugar. I only thought that the jelly in the middle became a little overwhelming with just a little dough underneath it and none above. Nothing too fancy, nothing crazy, just a good, classic doughnut.

Rating: *** 

No comments:

Post a Comment