Weil's of Westdale Bakery

Bakery: Weil's of Westdale 
Address: 981 King St W, Hamilton ON 
Website: http://www.weilsbakery.com/
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$ 

I think I've had Weil's on my radar for quite some time. After all, I've done quite a few bakeries in Hamilton and so the number of those still needing to be done is quickly going down. Weil's is, essentially, a bakery that should have been done sooner -- I mean, look what I was missing!

Weil's is a bakery specializing in homestyle Canadian baking, so expect the usual range of pies, squares, and danishes. There are a few unexpected treats, but in general it's simple baking done well. This can certainly be said of the items that I had for trying.
These included, first of all, a cinnamon bun. While I confess it didn't look that exciting, it being a large, airy square of dough with a bit of sugary icing on the top and with what looked like not that much cinnamon. Eaten fresh, this tasted very good: I loved the texture and lightness of the dough, the not-too overpowering flavour of cinnamon, and just the right amount of icing on top. Perhaps not national competition level, as one of my correspondents always put it, but they'd make it in to the regionals. ;)
Less amazing, but still good was the danish with sweet cheese and fruit filling. Slightly flaky dough  and drizzled with icing, this beat out a generic bakery danish, but didn't have the wow or comfort factor (yes, I should stop inventing words XD) of the one above.

Final verdict: a great, classic Canadian bakery in Hamilton worth coming back to!

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment