Blómasetrið - Kaffi Kyrrð [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Blómasetrið - Kaffi Kyrrð
Address: Skúlagata 13, Borgarnes
Website: http://blomasetrid.is/
Style: Icelandic, Cakes
Price: $$

Earlier this year, I had the absolute pleasure and honour of working at this lovely cafe in Borgarnes, Iceland, so having it as part of the Cake Tour is a must, though, like the two times I reviewed someone's individual baking, I also feel it would be unfair to actually rank it due to overwhelming personal bias and regular bribes in the form of free cake. We're entering conflict of interest territory here.... ;) However, I'll have to attempt an impartial and informative review. Let's do it!
Blómasetrið - Kaffi Kyrrð is an all-in-one gift shop, flower shop, guesthouse upstairs, and cafe -- the latter of which is tucked into the back section of the store. One blog named it one of the top cafes in the world and one glance around this homey, couch- and painting-laden cafe is enough to see why; there's something totally magical about the eclectic decor, the lovely patio with that mountain serving as a backdrop, and the aesthetically-pleasing array of desserts, drinks, and light meals and that has to be why people love it -- some are even mesmerized. It truly is "one of a kind". :)
In addition to the atmosphere, the cafe serves three types of sweets: muffins (chocolate or caramel; 550kr), rotating flavours of cake slices (990kr), and Icelandic waffles (850kr). For something hot and homemade, I would so go for the waffles -- photographed is my Mimi variant with maple syrup, chocolate shavings and heart-shaped whipped cream; I only realized now that all I really took pictures of were my own takes on everything, but the idea is there. :P The original waffle is served with rhubarb jam, chocolate syrup, chocolate shavings, and whipped cream.
 The one thing that broke my cake-loving heart was that the cakes aren't homemade... :( Naturally, some of the cakes are also better than others: my favourites included the pecan pie, the berry cheesecake, and the heated apple cakes with caramel sauce... hopefully, I'm not forgetting one like I did when asked. Scandalous. -_- You have to be either lucky or quick if you want the first two, though -- they never seem to last very long, and with good reason.
And all are prepared with love and whipped cream, along with corresponding sauce (chocolate, caramel or strawberry/blueberry) and those omnipresent chocolate shavings. This isn't just cake thrown onto a plate; it's pretty and thoughtful and a... a celebration of the marriage between cake and  cream! I was always happy to serve it to an appreciative crowd; I still remember that time when the table was in near tears in the face of such beauty. ;) 
This was a fantastic experience and I can only, most heartily recommend visiting this charming cafe for a slice of cake and a napkin floret in your coffee cup handle -- before you know it, the magic of the place will get you too. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment