Pasticceria La Siciliana [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Pasticceria La Siciliana 
Address: Via Teodosio, 85, Milan 
Website: http://lasiciliana.weebly.com/
Style: Italian, Sicilian 
Price: $$  

All hail the Cake Fairy! :) On a trip to Italy, my winged benefactor not only brought me back treats from one bakery, but three bakeries throughout Northern Italy. Yes, my friends, Mimi's Cake Tour has touched down on Italian soil... well, my feet haven't, but my tastebuds have! Can you believe it?! I am in awe of her powers, I really am... thank you yet again for helping the Cake Tour become so much greater. We will take over the world, one cake at a time. :D ((E grazie mille anche a Nicolò, che ha suggerito questa deliziosa pasticceria! La tua assistenza e la tua contribuzione al Cake Tour sono molto apprezzate. ^^))
As the name makes all too clear, La Siciliana is a long-standing, Sicilian-style patisserie and coffee shop that specializes in those southern pastries I am all too familiar with: cream-filled cannoli being the most famous, babas filled with whipped cream, pastries with almonds or pistachio, along with treats that I've never seen before.
Nonetheless, to be greeted with cannoli, I was a little skeptical, because -- truth be told -- I've had difficulty in finding good cannoli; however, this one was the best I have ever tasted! Amazing pastry that was thin, crispy, and tasted fresh, even when eaten several days after purchase. Delicious cheese/cream filling that was just the right consistency; it wasn't thick or overly sweet either, just light and airy with bits of chocolate and dipped in chunks of pistachio at both ends and the sort of cream that you can eat on its own. So good!
Even better? This little green treat that was one heavenly bite after another: underneath this thin layer of sugary glaze, there was the unexpected combination of liquor-soaked sponge cake, pistachio, and the same stracciatella cream as in the cannoli. Wow. This alone was worthy of a perfect rating -- what a gem of a pastry! *-* It's been so long since I've had such delicious Italian/Sicilian pastries, and this one is hands down the best of the bunch!!

Rating: ****  

No comments:

Post a Comment