Bakarí Hverafold [Mimi's World Tour]






Bakery: Bakarí Hverafold 
Address: Hverafold 1-3, Reykjavík 
Website: facebook 
Style: Polish 
Price: $$

Where in the world are the most Polish people per capita outside of Poland? The answer might surprise you; it's Iceland. As such, I thought it inevitable for them to have a Polish bakery. I visited a Polish deli, now shut down, and they had doughnuts and sweet cheese buns, but knew they simply could not have baked it themselves. Finally, I found it: Bakarí Hverafold. Located in a forgettable plaza in suburban Reykjavik, this Polish bakery makes all the classics for the nostalgic: rye breads, traditional doughnuts, cheesecakes, sweet buns and strudels. In some ways, I was a little disappointed that their photos online look much better and tastier than the treats I ended up eating, but yes, that is the sometimes difficult job of a bakery reviewer. *sighs*  
I started with the classic pączek (Polish jelly doughnut), easily the cheapest item at 190kr. Although fresh with a good, more watery glaze, this simply looked like the world's most pathetic, pitiful doughnut. Smushed and lopsided and stuck to the plastic bag, it was a bit soggy and very messy to eat. The jam and dough still tasted good, but it was just too bready for my liking... I can already hear my mom saying: "That's the difference between a bakery (piekarnia) and a patisserie (cukiernia)." -_-
And I simply could not resist: that poppy seed strudel (990kr) was calling my name. Doughnuts were one thing, but Polish poppy seed baked goods were entirely another. :P This, however, did not live up to expectations. For one -- and this is remarkable that I'm even saying this -- there was indeed a reason why "rum" came up twice in the ingredients list. This smelled like alcohol and tasted like brute spirits; now, I love alcohol in my baked goods (and on the side, too XD) and so I was super happy that someone finally put some alcohol in their baked goods, but it has to be complimentary to the taste of the baked good. The "rum" was overpowering... and it wasn't very good, the kind you throw back with a shudder, and it drowned out the more subtle flavours of poppy seed, nuts, almonds, and honey. The dough itself had no taste whatsoever and an off-putting smell that made me almost want to plug my nose while eating this. What was wrong? I have no way of explaining it. Once I started eating, it was alright, but unwrapping the plastic wrap, that first, not so pleasant impression stuck with me.
Suffice to say, I went away feeling disenchanted. Maybe I would go back for a doughnut if I really missed them (not that I have them on a regular basis at home, mostly because no one makes good ones here) or try the cheesecake, but I might just stick to Icelandic baked goods after all.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment