Bókakaffi Hlöðum [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Bókakaffi Hlöðum
Address:  Helgafelli 2,




Do you remember that amazing Cake Tour accomplice who brought me cake from Greenland? And Italy (future posts)? And supplied all raw cakes reviewed on this site? And regularly satisfied my sweet tooth with free cake during working hours? Well, she has struck again... and she doesn't even have an international correspondent cartoon picture yet! :P This time, it was cake brought back from East Iceland, which I have yet to visit (this and the Highlands are all I need now); across the bridge from Egilsstaðir, to be exact. I think I must have found that elusive mythological creature of lore: the Cake Fairy. And she seems to be watching over me. There's no other logical explanation. I'm so honoured to be in the Cake Fairy's good graces -- thank you. :)
If Google search queries mean anything, it appears that there are two "Bókakaffi" (though I did spot a bookstore/cafe in downtown Reykjavik, but let's pretend it doesn't exist) in Iceland -- and I've reviewed both of them. Another point for the Cake Tour! ^o^ This one, just outside Egilsstaðir, is a bookstore and cafe all-in-one in scenic surroundings that serves homemade cake and goodies. I was almost tempted to steal the photo for their holiday post of a table just heaping with homemade cakes and cinnamon buns and re-post it here -- it looks phenomenal! And if the treat I got to try is any indication, I am sure it all tastes phenomenal too.
Hlöðum has a few cake varieties at a time, all homemade, and it being warmer weather when I got my sample, it happened to be rhubarb season. I love rhubarb cake! Not the sweet and gloopy strawberry rhubarb stuff they usually make over here, but sour, tangy and flavourful rhubarb. In all honesty, I have never had a rhubarb cake I've disliked. The thing is, the Cake Fairy was not told that. Somehow, she just knew. It's uncanny... O.O Despite coming back a little smushed, this was an amazing rhubarb cake (the cheesecake, photographed above, was eaten on-site). If someone told me that they had paired coconut and rhubarb, I don't think I would be that interested in trying it, and yet the two together, a mellow creaminess from the coconut and the tartness of the rhubarb, worked surprisingly well. Team that up with a great pie-like shell on the bottom and chunks of dough on top, this was so good! Whipped cream not needed -- and in Iceland that's saying a lot. ;D Mmmm, what a delicious treat!

Rating: ***1/2 

No comments:

Post a Comment