Cottage Bakery

Bakery: Cottage Bakery
Address: 1267 Fairfield Rd, Victoria BC
Website: facebook 
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$

Here's another bakery stop in Victoria and, like a lot of the bakeries I visited (I'm sure that Victoria has the highest average score out of a great many Canadian cities), it was a worthwhile stop. Cottage Bakery is a quaint bakery in the lower level of a colourful house and makes what I would call traditional, old-school baking, the kind that is always associated with a figurative grandma, with a couple French-inspired, flaky baked goods and fancier cake slices thrown in there for variety. Cookies, squares, chocolate cake, and cinnamon buns -- there was quite a bit that looked tasty, and again I had trouble picking out just one item. But I made it! XD
I was thinking date squares all along until I spotted this lovely pumpkin pie square ($3.50)... and upon enquiring whether the swirl on top was icing or whipped cream, and finding it was whipped cream, I uh, knew I had to have it. .__. I mean, if you can't get ice cream on your pumpkin pie, there better be whipped cream (this is reasoning that should never be spoken aloud)! And there was. Oh yes, indeed there was! *-*

It has been so long since I've had pumpkin pie (mostly because no one knows how to make it properly), and though a little different than a traditional pumpkin pie in a shell, it was close enough for me to get my fix. Actually, the reason why it was a little different, was because it was better. This is an excellent square for people who don't want overly sweet sweets, and you really get a chance to taste the spiced pumpkin. Pair that with simple whipped cream, a few pumpkin seeds and a fantastic bottom that I can't stop raving about: instead of using a plain shortbread dough or even graham crumbs, this had a spice cake bottom similar to carrot cake. Mmmm, what an amazing idea -- so tasty!

Is this... yup, another recommended bakery! :) 

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment