Cachitos

Bakery: Cachitos
Address: 3 Rue Sainte-Catherine O, Montréal QC 
Website: http://cachitos.ca/en/
Style: Venezuelan 
Price: $$-$$$

I've known about Cachitos for at least one year and never got around to visiting. Actually, I attempted it last year, only to find it closed for the holiday weekend. You can imagine my disappointment. As mentioned countless times before, unique ethnic bakeries always excite me and I like to say I haven't had anything Venezuelan yet... Yes, that's right! Ha ha I had to run and search through my Cake Tour to make sure of that ^^. 

More so perhaps than other South American bakeries, Cachitos was not quite the bakery I was expecting. Their signature product is Venezuelan "bread": savoury buns stuffed with a variety of meat and cheese fillings; they take up most of the small space while sweet items are relegated to the area near the cash. There wasn't that much selection and some treats weren't that unique such as lime pies and cupcakes. Essentially, I was only debating between the passion fruit tart and the tres leches "cake" -- what I also noticed was that everything was a bit pricey considering its size or what it was (a cupcake). 
In the end, I chose the tres leches cake ($2.80; $3.20 with tax) and very happy I did. I've heard about this "three-milk" treat, but this was the first time I've tried it. I've also seen it in various forms, usually resembling an actual cake. Served in a small plastic form and eaten with the mini scoop-spoon provided, this was a sweet and surprisingly rich tiered dessert with three types of milk (hence the name), cinnamon-soaked dough, and thick sugary meringue on top. It looked small, but it packed a  flavourful punch with every spoonful and the size proved to be perfect: more of this decadent treat and I probably would have felt sick from guilt. XD As it was, I have very fond memories of that delicately spiced, creamy "cake" -- yum! 

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment