Café Mimi

Bakery: Café Mimi
Address: 3970 Rue Saint-Denis, Montréal QC 
Style: Balkan, Serbian, Croatian 
Price: $$

I have been waiting for this moment! To review a bakery called Mimi can always been a dream of mine, and I once found one (strangely enough it was a Serbian deli and this Mimi, if not Serbian, comes from the same geographic region), but upon entering realized there was nothing sweet there. The second time I decided to give it another try, it was closed down. Since then, I've vowed to pounce on a Mimi and at last I got one: Café-Patisserie Mimi in Montreal, specializing in Eastern European hot food, baked goods, and imported products. 

Having checked their website prior to popping in, I was greeted with photos of flaky baked goods, both sweet and savoury, trays of baklava and pastries. Getting excited, I found the real-life selection not as amazing: in terms of flaky, savoury bureks were the only things there. There was no sign of the other baked goods shown online. The baklava and some pastries were there, though there wasn't as much selection as I've seen elsewhere. In addition to these, there were squares, with either sour cherry or apple.
I took a slice of sour cherry cake ($2.00), a simple square cake with two layers of dough and a sour cherry "filling" in the middle. The premise sounded good and I've had this style of cake from other places with great success, but this turned into my most disappointing Cake Tour of this Montreal trip. This was so stale. The cherry filling had hardened and wasn't really a filling at all, but a few pieces of cherry; the dough crumbled upon contact. It had taken on the mixed flavours of the fridge and everything that had been in it, both sweet and savoury. This was not in any way an enjoyable experience -- I was devastated. Mimi! How could you do this to me!?! ;__; 

Rating: *

No comments:

Post a Comment