Schimmel's Bakery [RIP]

Bakery: Schimmel's Bakery 
Address: 1172 Main St, Smithers, BC
Website: n/a 
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$

Great, another bakery that closed down by the time I got to writing up my review for it. Truth be told, I'm not very surprised, given the fact that I was once looking at bakery businesses for sale and noticed with alarm that Schimmel's Bakery in Smithers was up for sale. Panicked that another bakery would slip away, I was relieved to find it still open and thought maybe they hadn't sold it after all; however, looking at online photos of the bakery prior to visiting it and what greeted me in person was a far cry from the rows of pastries I'd been expecting. The reason for this change was presumably a change of ownership. All I knew was that when I came to Schimmel's Bakery, it wasn't a bakery at all (I noticed that any signage did not include the word "bakery"). Empty display cases with ready-made sandwiches and a few baskets of baked goods and slices of cake further down, this was a cafe, not a bakery. It didn't even feel like a cafe where you grab something sweet with coffee. People were eating soup and wraps and... where were the baked goods!?

Purely for the sake of writing out the above, I decided I should at least get something. There were muffins, which I generally don't count, some sort of scones, and red velvet along with a gluten-free chocolate cake in addition to what I did end up taking: a raspberry oat square ($3.00). 
This was definitely more oat than raspberry, with the fruit filling being very thin and underwhelming, flavour-wise. More than that, the oat layers - I can't quite call it dough - had no cohesiveness at all and simply crumbled into a pile of granola with there being more powder than actual oats. It really needed something binding it together, because it was so dry, almost chalky. I really wasn't impressed.

Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment