Kim's Bakery [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Kim's Bakery 
Address: 14, Yangji-ro, Busanjin-gu, Busan
Website: n/a
Style: Korean
Price:

Does Kim's Bakery still exist? There seems to be nothing about it online and it took some crazy detective skills on my part to even find the address and traces of it on Naver maps (yes, not even Google was of any help this time around). Let's assume it does...

From the outside, the little black awning and door printed simply with "Kim's Bakery" in English makes it look like this hole-in-the-wall bakery belongs more in a North American Koreatown than it does in Korea. It's a little strange... Still, while the bakery does have seating, the selection of baked goods was very limited and consisted of a few trays on the counter along the wall, next to the cash. It was probably the smallest range I'd seen in any bakery during my trip, and yet it didn't necessarily look cleaned out, so was that it? There was something a little pathetic about it, not to mention the fact that only one person was running both the front and back, whom I'm guessing was Mr. Kim himself.
The small selection of baked goods are cheap and, almost out of pity, I took two items, though my rule is always to stick to just one. I grabbed a milk cream bun and a coffee bun (both 1500 won each). Of the two, I was expecting that the milk cream would be the best, but actually I liked the coffee bun with its delicate nutty aromas, fluffy dough and slightly chewy top.
The milk cream bun, on the other hand, was nothing special. It tasted a bit too commercial; you could even see the imprint of the plastic wrapper. It was also lacking in milk cream. I feel like both tasted almost too cheap: they needed that something special.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment