Karat Chocolate & Pastry

Bakery: Karat Chocolate and Pastry Boutique
Address: 1526 Ellis St, Kelowna, BC
Website: https://www.karatchocolate.ca/
Style: French, Chocolate
Price: $$$$ 

I have to admit I wouldn't expect to have another bakery (well, pastry shop would be more appropriate) open up in downtown Kelowna. Granted, Karat is a chocolate shop first and foremost. They make their own chocolate and that is essentially the basis of the business. Of course it helps if you have a nice big space to add a drinks menu and offer a limited selection of French pastries and elegant individual cake slices. Personally, I found it way too expensive - and this isn't even Vancouver - especially the croissants, which are generally reasonable, even in the most chic patisseries.
I like using almond croissants as a good benchmark for rating a bakery. Mostly because I happen to have a soft spot for them. Karat's almond croissant ($5 including tax) really should be renamed to an almond "croquant". I know these are double-baked, but this one was overdone with a burnt/browned taste with every bite; the bottom was pretty dark brown. Texture-wise it was too crunchy on the outside and the excessive amount of brittle almonds further heightened this sensation. Inside, the dough with its almond cream filling was incredibly chewy and rich. No, RICH. All in caps. I'm very pleased that butter was used in the making of these croissants, but just how much went into one single croissant is something I don't think I want to know the answer to.... For me to not be able to finish half in one sitting says a lot.

The chocolates may be good (I didn't try them), but in my humble opinion, the pastries are in need of some improvement. At the very least, someone on staff should sit down and try eating a whole pastry at one time, then decide.

Rating: *1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment