Jang Sudan Red Bean Bread [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Jang Sudan Red Bean Bread (빵장수단팥빵)
Address: @ Busan West Bus Station, 201 Sasang-ro, Gwaebeop-dong, Busan
Website: n/a
Style: Korean 
Price:

This small Busan chain of bakeries are apparently scattered throughout the city, though the only time I encountered one was as I was leaving the city, beyond the gates at the Busan West bus station. Having been more worried about making it to the bus station in time than finding one last bakery, it was a nice finale to stop at this bakery while waiting for my bus to depart. Strangely enough, while the name of the bakery indicates the focus are red bean buns, I actually didn't notice this signature item in person besides the big poster next to the bakery stall. I had more recollection of the several loaves of pound cake-like sweet bread....
I didn't have much time before my bus left, so I grabbed the one surefire classic I recognized: the soboro bun (1500 won). I've since discovered that you can get really great soboro buns, with plenty of texture and crunch on the outside, and then you have the soft ones. The soft, extra peanut-loaded buns. This belonged to the latter. Top had no texture whatsoever and actually fell off the bun once removed from the bag (hence the in-bag shot being the best one); the dough was stiff and dry and tasted far from fresh, though I ate it right when I bought it. No taste whatsoever except that pervasive chalky peanut butter - it was such a struggle to get through this one! :/

Rating: *1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment