Lucky's Doughnuts

Bakery: Lucky's Doughnuts 
Address: 2198 W 4th Ave, Vancouver BC
Website: https://49thcafe.com/
Style: Doughnuts
Price: $$$ 

I'm not really into looking for this sort of thing, but someone once sent me an article about the  best (or was it must-try) sweets in Canada and one of the few baked good destinations on that list happened to be Lucky's Doughnuts. Now, I can't trust these sorts of lists without trying them myself and there were plenty of picks I disagreed with, but for me to not have tried Lucky's Doughnuts yet - unthinkable.
 
Lucky's Doughnuts is a doughnut stand of sorts located inside each of the three 49th Parallel coffee shops; this one was in Kitsilano. Just like your less reputable doughnut and coffee joints, the doughnuts are presented in a lovely display case, all lined up in their corresponding slots. With their unique toppings and seasonal flavours, these doughnuts definitely look good - not to mention they're fresh and fully-stocked. Imagine, they were bringing out fresh doughnuts after 3 in the afternoon! What kind of baked good destination does that anymore? The common thing for a gourmet doughnut shop to do is close at noon because they sold out, so Lucky's certainly deserves bonus points. My only issue was that the prices were a little on the steep side (and why are the doughnuts cheaper online!?) and I personally found the 50/50 split of standard doughnut and gluten-free/vegan varieties a little too in favour of the latter, but I'm probably not allowed to say stuff like that nowadays... 
Still, I had the choice between classic ring doughnuts - perennial favourites - and a few summery treats. Not often found in bakeries on these shores, I love pure rhubarb in baking, so how I could not take the rhubarb crumble ($3.80)? Oh boy, just smelling this made me know it'd be a winner. Freshly fried, golden brown exterior with absolutely delectable icing and big chunks of crumble. Honestly, I thought that would be it; it usually is with fancy doughnuts, so I wasn't expecting the homemade sour rhubarb jam on the inside. It was so good! I just wish all their flavours were this tantalizing.

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment